15 Rules all Nannies Should Know.
Here is a list of general ground rules we think all nannies should know. The golden rule is don’t assume they know this. As a parent, it is worth taking a few minutes and running through the ground rules that are important to you, your family and that fit into your value system.
- Nannies should never drink alcohol or smoke at the employer’s home or in the presence of children at any time.
- Nannies should never smack a child.
- Nannies should never help themselves to household goods without asking the employer first.
- Nannies should not use TV as a source of entertainment during any time of the day unless the parents stipulate otherwise.
- Nannies should never give the child any medicine without informing the parents first.
- If a nanny wakes up feeling sick and is unable to come to work, a nanny should call at least an hour before she would normally start work to inform her employer so the employer can make a backup plan for the day.
- If she is late for work she should inform her employer before or on the hour she should be starting work and not later.
- A nanny should never feed a weaning baby anything other than what the mother has prescribed.
- A nanny should always wash her hands as soon as she walks through the door and before she picks up the baby.
- A nanny must always wear gloves when blood is present –either a wound on her hand or blood on the child.
- A nanny should always inform the parents where she is, should she leave the house with the child i.e. in the form of a note or call if she is going for a walk, visiting a neighbour or going to a park.
- Should a child fall ill, have a fever, be vomiting or have diarreah, the nanny should inform the parents immediately.
- A nanny should never leave a child alone around water or alone in the house even for a few minutes i.e. to hang up the washing.
- A nanny should never alter a child’s appearance ie cut a child’s hair or a baby nails without asking the mom first.
- A nanny should never go outside with the child – i.e. garden or park without sunscreen, hat and liquids (juice, water, milk) especially in summer.
Give your nanny the confidence and knowledge to care for your child in a safe and loving environment. Send her on one of our wonderful nanny training courses and see the difference immediately. Enquire here!